Glutathione IV therapy may encourage optimal health and may aid with detoxification. We are exposed to toxins on a daily basis, from food wrappings and plastics to alcoholic beverages and pollution. IV therapy with glutathione in Toronto may be considered though for helping remove toxins from the body.
Glutathione in the Fight Against Toxins
Toxins or toxic chemicals have been shown to cause illness, increase cancerous risks, and contribute to a reduction in lifespan. Excessive toxin levels degrade the human body on a cellular level, possibly causing cellular malfunctions and mutations, and compromising the mitochondria’s ability to operate.
In the body, many antioxidants work synergistically to combat free radicals, slowing down their damaging effects to cells. So how can we use antioxidants to detoxify the body? Think glutathione, a peptide famous for its antioxidant strength. Available as an IV therapy in Toronto at the IV Lounge, glutathione intravenous therapy supplementation helps neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, while aiding in the support of liver and gallbladder detoxification.
Here are five reasons why glutathione supplementation such as through an intravenous vitamin drip may act as a champion detoxifier for the human body:
- Glutathione encourages the body to detoxify. The body is known to produce less glutathione as we age – this can put the body’s detoxification process at risk, possibly triggering diseases. Supplementation such as through the intravenous drip route may be beneficial though for assisting the body to detoxify through the golden years. (Want to know more about detoxification? IV hydration therapy may also help.)
- Glutathione is like a “recycling” maestro for detoxification. According to the HuffPost blog of Dr. Mark Hyman, MD, free radicals “get passed around from vitamin C to vitamin E to lipoic acid and then finally to glutathione which cools off the free radicals and recycles other antioxidants.” Then the body renews glutathione levels and the process repeats. Remember, glutathione levels may decline as we age, so the body may not have enough as we get older. But supplementation may foster persistent detoxification.
- Glutathione may possibly lessen cell damage from liver disease. Scientists have recognized glutathione for its potential benefits including as a high-class antioxidant, which is why oral administration has been applied to the treatment of chronic liver diseases. Although further research must be piloted, a 2017 study showed that glutathione acted as a robust antioxidant for helping treat non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
If you’re considering getting a glutathione IV therapy in Toronto but have other health concerns, suffering from a chronic illness, or have pre existing medical conditions (e.g kidney disease, heart disease, autoimmune diseases, chronic inflammation), a mandatory appointment with our naturopathic doctor, Dr. Amauri Caversan, ND at The IV Lounge is required before glutathione treatment is started. An initial assessment and medical history is required.
- Certain supplements may contribute to the production of glutathione. To naturally promote glutathione production, please speak to your naturopathic doctor about milk thistle. This herbal supplement contains silymarin, an antioxidant compound shown in rodent and test-tube studies to amplify glutathione levels.
- IV glutathione may provide detoxifying results without digestive discomforts. Oral glutathione supplements may cause bloating in some patients. With that said, we suggest upping your dose of glutathione through IV therapy because one of the benefits of glutathione infusion is that it bypasses the digestive tract. This means you increase doses of glutathione supplementation without stomach discomforts. Also, this type of glutathione treatment instantly enters the bloodstream, meaning that maximum absorption of nutrients would potentially be available for the body to use immediately.
Book Your Glutathione IV therapy in Toronto
As you’ve read, glutathione is a powerful antioxidant. Although glutathione levels are known to decline as we mature, supplementation helps with detoxification in the body.
Let’s discuss how we can naturally promote detoxification with custom IV therapy. The IV Lounge also offers a variety of vitamin drip treatment such as IV hydration therapy, vitamin B IV therapy (vitamin B1, vitamin B3, or vitamin B6 may be included), and other IV vitamins and minerals to our patients. Our clinic is welcoming new patients and COVID-19 safety protocols are implemented daily. Call (647) 549-3484 to book your consultation for IV therapy in Toronto.
Bishop C, Hudson VM, Hilton SC, Wilde C. A pilot study of the effect of inhaled buffered reduced glutathione on the clinical status of patients with cystic fibrosis. Chest. 2005 Jan;127(1):308-17. doi: 10.1378/chest.127.1.308. PMID: 15653998.
Diotallevi M, Checconi P, Palamara AT, Celestino I, Coppo L, Holmgren A, Abbas K, Peyrot F, Mengozzi M, Ghezzi P. Glutathione Fine-Tunes the Innate Immune Response toward Antiviral Pathways in a Macrophage Cell Line Independently of Its Antioxidant Properties. Front Immunol. 2017 Sep 29;8:1239. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2017.01239. PMID: 29033950; PMCID: PMC5626850.
Ghezzi P. Role of glutathione in immunity and inflammation in the lung. Int J Gen Med. 2011 Jan 25;4:105-13. doi: 10.2147/IJGM.S15618. PMID: 21403800; PMCID: PMC3048347.
Honda Y, Kessoku T, Sumida Y, Kobayashi T, Kato T, Ogawa Y, Tomeno W, Imajo K, Fujita K, Yoneda M, Kataoka K, Taguri M, Yamanaka T, Seko Y, Tanaka S, Saito S, Ono M, Oeda S, Eguchi Y, Aoi W, Sato K, Itoh Y, Nakajima A. Efficacy of glutathione for the treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: an open-label, single-arm, multicenter, pilot study. BMC Gastroenterol. 2017 Aug 8;17(1):96. doi: 10.1186/s12876-017-0652-3. PMID: 28789631; PMCID: PMC5549431.
Hyman, Mark, MD. “Glutathione: The Mother of All Antioxidants”, HuffPost, posted on June 6, 2010, viewed on March 10, 2021.
Joshi PC, Guidot DM. The alcoholic lung: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and potential therapies. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007 Apr;292(4):L813-23. doi: 10.1152/ajplung.00348.2006. Epub 2007 Jan 12. PMID: 17220370.
Kasperczyk S, Dobrakowski M, Kasperczyk A, Ostałowska A, Birkner E. The administration of N-acetylcysteine reduces oxidative stress and regulates glutathione metabolism in the blood cells of workers exposed to lead. Clin Toxicol (Phila) 2013;51(6):480–486.
Li N, Jia X, Chen CY, Blumberg JB, Song Y, Zhang W, Zhang X, Ma G, Chen J. Almond consumption reduces oxidative DNA damage and lipid peroxidation in male smokers. J Nutr. 2007 Dec;137(12):2717-22. doi: 10.1093/jn/137.12.2717. PMID: 18029489.
Martínez Alvarez JR, Bellés VV, López-Jaén AB, Marín AV, Codoñer-Franch P. Effects of alcohol-free beer on lipid profile and parameters of oxidative stress and inflammation in elderly women. Nutrition. 2009 Feb;25(2):182-7. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2008.08.005. Epub 2008 Oct 23. PMID: 18947976.
Medved I, Brown MJ, Bjorksten AR, et al. N-acetylcysteine enhances muscle cysteine and glutathione availability and attenuates fatigue during prolonged exercise in endurance-trained individuals. J Appl Physiol. 2004;97(4):1477–1485.
Pizzorno J. Glutathione! Integr Med (Encinitas). 2014 Feb;13(1):8-12. PMID: 26770075; PMCID: PMC4684116.
Sharma H, Datta P, Singh A, et al. Gene expression profiling in practitioners of Sudarshan Kriya. J Psychosom Res. 2008;64(2):213–218.
Stav D, Raz M. Effect of N-acetylcysteine on air trapping in COPD: a randomized placebo-controlled study. Chest. 2009;136(2):381–386.